Sunday, June 17, 2007

Bad Travel Days.

Sometimes when you travel, it just all goes wrong. And not wrong as in delayed or canceled flights (though that happens with horrible regularity as well) but wrong as in that is seems that the entire travel industry is populated by angry old people telling you to get off their lawn. They are the ones who hold the ball, and they just don’t want to share.

Yesterday we got to Heathrow airport in good time, and get to the Air France (avoid at all costs, by the way) to check it. It seems to be going well except for the fact they simply will not give us the exit row on the Paris – Lisbon leg. (I am 6’6” tall. If you want to see what it feels like for me to fly, go to a first grade classroom – one with those little desks with the attached chair and desk that opens to reveal pencils and books and such. Cram yourself into that desk. Then sit there for three hours while someone yells at you not to get up). OK, I though, we can try to get the exit row in Paris.

Then the real joy of the adventure started. “You are overweight” I was told. Now, I know I can lose a few pounds, but… “You will owe £63.50 for excess baggage” I am elite, I replied. “Not here, you are not”. I was not happy.

We paid, and went through security (zip, zip. Not a problem there. My congratulations to the English Security System) and got to the waiting room. Fun times again. We go to the elite lounge (I am a member of the Continental Airlines lounge) and are refused entry. With a smile. “That card does not work, sir. I am sorry” I doubted that.

But, thank goodness for the Italians! We went to the Alitalia lounge and were greeted by a confused, but friendly woman who let us in gladly.

Now we are relaxing in Lisbon. Seems like a nice place.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home