Saturday, October 21, 2006

Bob Dylan

I just got the latest Bob Dylan disc – Modern Times. It is a wonderful set of music, if you like Bob Dylan. As my brother Mark said, “good thing he took care of his voice”. There is a certain earthy quality to his vocals.

But the songs are great.

Sometimes I wonder
Why you can’t treat me right.
You do good all day
And then you do wrong all night.

From Spirit on the Water – my favorite song so far.

I have listened to Dylan since I was a little kid. All the older siblings (four of ‘em) liked to listen to Bob. And they were my major musical influences. I would guess that I know most of his songs. I will sometimes surprise Doreen by bursting into song when I hear a Dylan verse in normal conversation.

Dylan, The Band, Warren Zevon, Tom Waits, and David Bromberg seem to be the core of my music library. I guess I need to expand my horizons.

I don’t have an i-pod. Mainly because I am not sure when I would listen to it. My commute is only about 20 minutes, and I usually listen to the radio. At work I have too much interaction with people to listen to music. At home, I have a stereo. And when Doreen is here, I would rather talk.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home