Monday, January 01, 2007

e-bay vs craigslist


So I recently had the opportunity to experience first hand selling a car via the web. I have not sold a car (that was to an uninterested third party) since about 1988. Back then, you simply listed the car in the local classified ads and took all comers. Today, commerce is different.

I work in the software business, so of course I had to sell the car on the web. One of the fellows I work with is e-bay crazy. He sold his car on e-bay (now, for those of you who know cars, you will understand why it sold so quickly. It was a 2004 BMW M3 with under 10,000 miles on it. Sweet!) and said I should do the same. I knew others who also suggested that ebay was the way to go.

Well, everyone but Doreen. She said I should use Craigslist. Now, those of you who are unaware of craigslist, you should check it out. Click here. (you can select your own city. That is the Houston site). It is a very simple website that acts as a community bulletin board. The founder (Craig Newmark) is genuinely a philanthropist. He could be worth billions, and he chooses not to. (!). If you don’t believe me click Here and listen.

SO I listed on e-bay. Against the advice of my sweet ever-lovin’ wife. (Note to the youngsters in the audience. This is a bad idea)

What did I get?

What DID I get?

Nothing. Two bids so low as to be laughable.

Just before the listing expired I was talking to a friend (who happens to be the best salesman in the world) and he said I should have listed it on craigslist. Oh? I say. Great idea. Let me get right on that.

When the ebay listing expired I went to the Houston craigslist and posted the car.

Within FOUR HOURS I had someone come by and put a deposit on the car. We finished the transaction a couple of hours ago.

Being one who readily admits his mistakes, I told Doreen she was right.

Again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home