Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Croûtage

SO here I am sitting at home alone as my sweet ever-lovin’ is our gallivanting with her book group. (they are reading something foolish like Tales of my Russian Winter or Tails of my Russian Weasel. I am not sure. I know that Russian is in the title, however.). (She abandons me like this occasionally. I don’t like it. I don’t like it one little bit. But what can you do? Well, I can TELL you what you can do. Nothing)

I am eating a delicious Tuna Salad Sandwich that Doreen had lovingly made for me before she left. With it I am drinking an amazingly good wine (the bottle of which I am trying not to finish so that she can get a glass sometime soon). It is a Chilean Viongier/Chardonnay blend that I bought for only $6.99 (!) at the Houston Wine Merchant (note to self: buy more). I am reading the latest copy of New York magazine, lovingly subscribed to for us by Trouta.

I start reading an article about Baguettes in New York. I guess I am only reading it because I have a cat on my lap and it is difficult to move. Well, what do I see? I see that the description of a baguette that has a “piling up of little pieces of crust” on the bottom of it is croûtage! And what do I think of from that? Why Crou-crous! So this term, which I thought was made up by my Grandmother, (in deep south Louisiana) is really a French word!

Who knew?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home